# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cost Saver #1

Being kind of a tight-wad, I like to save money whenever I can and buying fishing tackle is no different. I tend to use the higher end stuff so it can get pricey, especially when buying fishing line. I use fluorocarbon about 80% of the time and I've found myself dropping $80 on line in the spring which puts my fishing expenditures in a bind quickly. Here are a few things I do to combat that high price tag.

First off I only buy my line when it's on sale. I use BPS xps fluoro and they always have it for about $10-$12 per spool in the spring. I save my old sale flyers and that gives me a good indication of what will be on sale this year, which their line always seems to be.

Secondly, I try and only buy a few sizes which will eliminate purchasing a whole spool of say #14 line which I only use for spinnerbaits. Instead I buy #12 which I can use with spinners as well as senkos and lighter flipping applications. It might not be the exact size line I need but it works well enough and saves me from buying an extra spool.

I also change line very often so my next trick involves line conservation. I fill all my reels with a cheap filler line and then put a piece of electrical tape on the spool. I leave enough room for another 50 yards or so which I fill with the good line. This is all that ever sees the water anyways and makes it easier to re-spool and pick out backlashes.

Spinning reels are no different and I've used a new setup the last few years which saves even more money. I have three spinning reels I use and like to use #8 fluoro on each. I also love braid but went away from it a few years back due to it's high visibility under water. But recently I've mastered a line to line knot which allows me to use braid and then tie a fluorocarbon leader to the business end. This setup allows me the sensitivity of braid with the invisibility of fluoro and I've not had a break off yet. I can buy one spool of braid and one spool of the flouro and be set for the year.

Of course I use my line savings and just spend it on other tackle anyway so I'm not saving much money overall but I feel I'm spending my money more wisely now.

No comments:

Post a Comment