# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Recreation Passport

A much cheaper alternative is what I call it but the DNR insists on "Recreation Passport" so that's what I'll refer to it as. If you have not heard yet, the DNR will allow you to purchase this "Passport" starting now and it will get you into state parks and DNR owned boat access sites instead of the old sticker system.

Under the current system, a sticker was required for entry into the state parks such as Wamplers, Lake Ovid and Portage. The access only sites such as St. Clair and Devils would require a separate sticker and at $24 apiece, I'd be shelling out close to $50 a year for stickers. Now for $10 I can purchase a passport and gain entry into both.

I renewed my truck tabs yesterday and that is when the passports should be purchased. The Secretary of State will ask if this is something you want to buy when renewing and a special plate tab will indicate you have the passport. Your registration also indicates that you have purchased the passport and this must be shown to the DNR Ranger when entering the parks.

This saves me $38 a year and I don't have to gum up my windshields anymore. I think it's a great idea, much like the permanent trailer plates from a few years ago. Hope this program sticks around awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment