# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lake Ovid Report

I was able to spend a few hours on Lake Ovid Wednesday night and all I can say was it was interesting. First of all it took me 50 minutes to arrive at the launch from Jackson and the facility is one of the best you'll see in Michigan. Everything looks new this year and there is ample parking.

The lake is not giant but there are a lot of little ins and outs and a couple of islands in the middle. Most of the lake is shallow but several holes over ten feet are present. The West end close to the swimming beach probably has the deepest water, close to 20 foot. The water is quite dirty with visibility of around two to three feet.

There is quite a lot of vegetation and I'm not sure what type, I'm guessing milfoil. Whatever it is it gets thick and heavy mats are present throughout the lake. If you're in 8 foot of water or less, expect the weeds to be thick. Some areas are so thick that they're almost unaccessible with a trolling motor.

As far as the fishing goes, I was out with Matt Zelienka and we had about 5 bites in a little over 2.5 hours. We caught one keeper but Matt reports having some good days out there last week. As we were out there a front was coming through containing rain, cloudy skies and dropping temps. I think that probably had more to do with the tough fishing than anything, I hope anyway.

I did see lots of surface activity, so much so that it got frustrating not being able to catch much with fish jumping everywhere but I'll get out hopefully next week and try to figure something out. More reports to follow and hope everyone has a good holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment