# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Big Fish Season

Fall means cooling water temps which usually equals fish moving shallow and becoming catchable again. This trend is becoming evident on a few local lakes recently as I have witnessed some hogs being caught.

The first one to show up was a 5.2 pound smallie I caught on Clark Lake about 12 days ago on a Zoom Super Fluke. A five pounder is a good fish around here but the amazing thing was that it was very thin and measured 22" long. This fish should weigh closer to six pounds after it fattens up for the winter. It was on a shallow rocky flat in about three feet of water.

Pig number two showed up last weekend as part-time club member Nick Neves brought a massive largemouth to the launch during a small buddy tournament held on Lake Columbia. The fish weighed in at 6 pounds even on my scales and 6.4 on another set of scales. It was the biggest largemouth I have ever seen in person and Nick caught it flipping a shallow grass mat on a green pumpkin creature bait.

Hopefully a few big fish will show up at this weekends classic and with the colder temps rolling in, I wouldn't be surprised to see one. I was out tonight for a few hours and water temps are still about 67 degrees, up a little from the weekend. But lows in the 30's are expected for Friday and Saturday night so I'm not sure what to expect. I've been on the water when I thought the bite would be awesome and it was quite the opposite and vice-versa. Guess I'll let the fish tell me what they want or I'll just force feed them.

As far as the Classic goes, I'll be arriving at the 145 Truck Stop closer to 5:30 Sunday morning. I know the time was set at 6am and it isn't light until closer to 8, but getting an early start never hurts. I still plan on picking Devils as my lake due to the fact that the smallmouth may bite a little better even with the cold temps. I think this would offer the best opportunity for big stringers and a good classic, unlike last years slow bite. I'll be there at 5:30, maybe earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment