# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Fishing Update

Got out a few times in the past few days and I have a little info to pass along. First of all let me clarify things by saying yes I am targeting bass that are out of season. The catch and release period does not start until April 24th, same as walleye and pike. I can understand the closed season on these two in order to protect the spawning season but bass do not spawn until mid-May. I can't figure out why bass season is closed at all, in order to coordinate everything and make regulating seasons for the DNR I guess. Either way I think it's silly and I will openly target bass, all released unharmed of course.

With that off my chest here is the latest water reports. Most lakes as of Wednesday afternoon had water temps in the mid to high 40's, probably creeping into the low 50's by Thursday. I think some small channels and cuts will probably approach the mid to high 50's by the weekend, getting the crappie bite going in lakes such as Michigan Center and the rest of it's chain.

I was on Clarks Wednesday and only caught two small fish but was on Columbia Sunday morning in a cold rain and caught a limit of 2 pound largemouth in the backs of some channels. It was interesting how on a big shallow lake like that could have such a good bite happening on a cold morning while on a sunny 70 degree day it was so awful on Clarks. The setup of each lake is completely different and the fishing varies greatly. I will remember this lesson in springs to come. I bet other shallow largemouth lakes with wind protected channels would also excel now like Center while clear lakes with little cover like Portage would seem like the dead sea.

I'll be in Florida for the next week and hope to fish at least one day while on vacation. I hope to get fellow club member Matt Morgan to post a report next week from his recent BFL tournament held on Kentucky Lake March 13th. He has some interesting things to say and hopefully he can make a post while I'm lying at the pool. Fishing season will be in full swing when I get back and I'll start my BawBeese previews.

No comments:

Post a Comment