# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's a long winter


A few years back this is how my end of season usually shaped up. I'd fish through October and sometimes into November and then the holidays would roll around and with our busy schedule before you knew it, it was January. Only nine more weeks until March and we'd usually have some sort of open water this month so if I could only get to March I would be OK. But by mid-February I would be chomping at the bit, wanting to rip the lips off anything that swims and I would actually be seen flipping soft plastics to snow drifts in my front yard (no lie).

Well two years ago I decided that I was not going to spend my winter depressed waiting for ice out and that it was time to embrace the winter season. I decided I was going to be an ice fisherman and that would ease the transition into the spring fishing season.

Fast forward to 2010 and I am now the proud owner of an ice shanty, an underwater camera, several ice rods, ice fishing electronics and as of last month my first ice fishing tournament win. I never thought I would take to this sport but I am an ice fishing junky and the winter days are flying by. I never thought I would get to this point and I'm not sure if it's the tournament angle or just the fact that I'm fishing but I love it either way.

I'm not saying that the open water season is forgotten, I still can't wait to rip the lips of my first largemouth of the spring, but is sure is a lot easier waiting for open water. There are a lot of winter activities available in this state and I can't believe I waited this long to take advantage of them. I'm not saying folks will embrace the winter season the way that I have this year but it sure beats the heck out of watching old BASS videos and cleaning reels. I suggest giving ice fishing an opportunity and give me a call if you ever want to get out, I'm always looking for a partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment