# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Friday, February 19, 2010

Looking ahead


The Bassmaster Classic got underway today and nothing gets the juices flowing this time of year than following the Elite series pros trying to win the Super Bowl of bass fishing. It always makes it seem like our club season is right around the corner and slightly shifts me into my own tournament mode. One thing I always do this time of year is think about new baits and techniques that I can incorporate into my fishing arsenal in order to improve as a fisherman. I don't strive to be great at all the new techniques but it never hurts to be proficient at a lot of things.

I think back to 2008 when I was in position to win Angler of the Year at the last tournament over at Austin Lake. I had one small fish at 1pm and could feel everything slipping away. The sun was high and bright and the water was calm as glass when I stumbled onto a small pad field that had lots of cruising fish nearby. I had never flipped in a tournament before but I thought that was the only way to quietly present a bait to those skittish fish in order to get a bite. A few minutes later I caught the biggest bass of the event flipping a jig and ended up finishing second in the event and claiming the AOY. Like I said, I had never flipped in a tournament but had practiced it numerous times over the years and was confident enough to do it when the conditions called for it.

I have a few techniques that I need to work on this year and hopefully I'll gain enough confidence in them that I won't think twice when they're needed.

FROGGIN'
I started working on this application towards the end of last summer and it can be downright lethal. Big line and big rods are required and it can deliver some of the biggest fish of the season. It is a high risk, high reward tactic but I know I will need it on a few lakes like Center, Muskegon and Ovid. I was suprised how many bites I got during the course of a day but when the frog bite is on it is awesome. I used a few types but the Spro Bronzeye became my favorite. I still have some work to do in perfecting this tactic but can't wait to use it in a tourney.

CRANKIN'
I also began experimenting with the crankbait late last year and honestly, once I started I had trouble throwing anything else. This technique is made for offshore fishing in darker water but I think it has a time and a place around here. Jim Rice won the Michigan Center event last April throwing a small crankbait and I know lots of guys are crankin' over on St. Clair instead of just dragging tubes. I am so sure I'm going to be a cranker that I'm buying a special crankbait combo this spring and I'll be ready when the time comes. Notice how KVD started dominating the BASS circuit since he started throwing the hardbaits? That's all I need to hear.

FLIPPIN'
Like I stated, I have done this before and have confidence in it but my technique still needs some tweeking. I'm not as accurate as I need to be and when flippin' docks, accuracy is paramount. I will probably pull out the big stick early on Baw Beese and probably on Center, Devils and Ovid as well. There isn't tons of wood to flip around here but pitching to holes in weeds is something I think could work during the hot summer months.

Granted, I will probably still stick with my old standbys most of the time but it can't hurt to be able to adjust if I feel I have to and be able to do it with confidence. Or I can just get on a weedline and throw a senko. Just one more thing I need to work on I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment