# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Lake selection meeting

This coming Thursday will be our normal December meeting and it is traditionally the one in which the lakes for next years tournaments will be selected. This is in my opinion is the best meeting of the year for two reasons. One, it kicks off a new season and gets me looking towards spring already and secondly it actually gives us a good idea of what we are in store for once the open water season actually arrives.

I like to do a lot of map study and do a lot of prep work during the winter months and knowing where we will fish next year makes that a little easier. I'm the type of nerd who will be looking at google-earth maps in February trying to find isolated weedbeds and points on certain lakes that I did not know existed. I'll start researching old fishing forums looking for prevailing patterns for our lakes and I will definitely start buying tackle that fits our schedule.

As far as the schedule goes, I don't want to try and influence anyone but I have my ideas of how I'd like the schedule to look. As well as picking individual lakes, we also set the format of the schedule at this meeting and I would love to see the club go back to 10 tournaments. I felt like I didn't fish that much last year (my wife disagrees) and I would consider two catch and release events as well.

Last year we started with a local pre-season lake and then went the Hardy Dam in May which I thought worked out pretty decent. I like the idea of staying local for an early season tournament because the fishing should be pretty good anywhere so why drive two hours when good fishing exists close to home.

Secondly, there are a few favorites of mine and there is no reason why we can't fish these bodies of water multiple times. Michigan Center for it's close proximity and St. Clair due to the fact that it's only the best lake in the state would qualify for multiple visits. And as far as pre-season lakes, Devils comes to mind because we havn't been there lately, it's close and there should be big smallies on beds that time of year. Seems like an easy decision to me.

I've got a few ideas on out of towners and would love to go to Burt/Mullett again but the BFL is there the second week in June which was when we were there the last time. I'd hate to drive all the way up there and miss the good bed fishing by a week. Wixom is ok but we go there a lot so I would not be dissapointed in a Hamlin Lake, Cadillac/Mitchell or even a fall September Hardy Dam option. Some things to think about I guess which is all I'll have for the next few months. Only 143 days until the opener. Hope to see everyone Thursday and bring your dues.

No comments:

Post a Comment