# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dereadt wins "Classic"

Details are a little sketchy but I will pass along the information I have gathered so far. First of all your 2009 Classic Champ is Mark Dereadt who brought two fish to the weigh-in which was quite a feat on a tough fishing day. The weight was unavailable but probably close to four pounds and I believe those fish were caught on back to back casts. "If I wasn't fishing for those five minutes then I would have zereo'd" added Mark who won the Classic for I believe the fourth time.

Some other highlights of the tournament which was held on the Portage Lake chain in Pickney included Bill Maurer catching the big fish of the day. Bills 3.5 lb smallie came on a topwater popper in 48 degree water. A second fish would have won the event for Maurer but he suffered the same fate as all the rest of the field. Lots of big cruising fish, some of which would follow baits to the boat but would not bite was the theme of the day.

I'm not sure if anyone else weighed in multiple fish or not but I do know there were many singles brought in and two members zero'd. More details will follow as they come available. Great job Mark once again.

1 comment:

  1. This year's Classic proved to be very tuff indeed (then again, they all seem to be tuff to me). It was very cold (26 degrees) when we launched the boats and we all had frost covering our boats seats and electronics. The fish were in a very negative mood (as they usaully are in the classics for me). I did have have a 19 inch smallmouth hit my zara spook on my second cast - only to get it up to the boat and discover it only had one of the three hooks of the rear treble hook barely hooked in the interior white skin inside of it's mouth. Natyrally when it turned it's head the white tissue ripped and the fish made it's escape. I saw quite-a-few fish during the remainder of the day, but couldn't get any of them to bite well enough to get them in the boat (until about 2:00, when I got my only keeper). The fish seemed to be picking baits up but not getting the baits far enough into their mouths to allow for a good hook set. I tried everything I could think of but they just didn't seem to be interested in much that day. Given the conditions and the mood of the fish, Mark's win seemed all that more impressive to me. But then again he is one of those that usaully finds a way when it comes to our classics.

    ReplyDelete