# of fellow fisherman that have visited since April 27th, 2010

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mike caught these "Hogs" searching new water

With the Club visiting two new lakes this year and Center being visited in April, we essentially will have three new bodies of water to investigate this year. With limited practice time, how do you break down new lakes in such a short period of time? Mike Maske (2008 St. Clair Winner) and I had such a dilema in the fall of 07' when we were invited to a new lake to fish a small tournament. We decided to put on our favorite "search baits" and cover as much water as possible. The results were Mikes' two biggins pictured above and a 5 fish limit over 17 pounds.
Maske used a 1/2 oz white Nichols spinnerbait that day for his search lure.

When I get on the lake this year to pre-fish for Center, Hardy, Goguac and even St. Clair my bait of choice to cover water quickly will be a Zoom Super Fluke. I can fish fast with this bait and bury the barb inside the plastic so I don't need to hook any fish. The Fluke will catch fish but will also draw lots of followers that I don't catch but that will give their locations away, hopefully to return tournament day and seal the deal.

I usually use white or pearl Flukes with a 4/0 hook and throw it on 10 pound flourocarbon. My combo of choice is a 6'6 medium rod and baitcasting reel. Depending on the conditions I will also use a jerkbait, spinnerbait or walking topwater bait as my "search lures" but it's hard not to hook fish with these baits so I try and stick with the fluke if I can. This is a great confidence lure for me and I know if the fish are shallow then they'll usually react to this bait.

No comments:

Post a Comment